Pictures of Cats
Popular Breeds (on this page)
Also check out:
Top 11 Most Popular Cat Breeds:
Photo Credit: © Franny Syufy
#1 Most Popular Breed is the Domestic Cat – ancestors were around long before most of today’s recognized cat breeds. Known as “moggies,” “mixed breed,” and “alley cats.”
Jessie Cat says: I am a mixed breed. Seems like most cats are. But some of the other purebreds sure do stand out in a crowd!
Gina says: I agree. Most of these breeds I’ve only seen in pictures. Very unique and beautiful. But so is Jessie!! (she’s rubbing vigorously against my legs)
Photo Credit: © Laura Gaffney
2. Persian Cats – have long-flowing coat, sweet face and disposition. Needs a calm home, but provides pleasure to the owners.
© Ellen Lengel
3. The Maine Coon cat is happy with children, dogs, or older people. Nickname, “The Gentle Giant.”
Photo Credit: © Vanessa van Zyl
4. Exotic Cats have the look and sweet personality of the Persian, but have been bred with a short plush coat.
Photo Credit: © Greg & Linda Lopez
5. Siamese Cats remain popular for a pedigreed cat.
Photo Credit: © Eileen and Karel Pittaway
6. Abyssinian Cats are active cats. Many enjoy water. Provide plenty of interactive play.
Photo Credit: © Liz Knapp
7. Ragdoll Cats are named as such because they relax when held. They adore their humans and want to be near them all the time.
Photo Credit: © Sharon
8. Birman Cats have a great personality and adjust well to many lifestyles; active but will entertain themselves quietly.
Photo Credit: © Michelle T. Bernard
9. American Shorthair was originally called the “Domestic Shorthair.” Low maintenance. Strong, healthy cats.
Photo Credit: © Chromatics
10. Oriental Cat was created from the Siamese cats to add solid colors and patterns different than the traditional pointed pattern.
Photo Credit: © Bemisu Sphynx
11. Sphynx Cat has an almost hairless body, big ears and pixie look. Good companions, smart and friendly.